Three Months Later, Catholic Organization’s Twitter Account Remains Locked

COMPLAINTS FILED IN EUROPE AND U.S.

by Sharon Rondeau

Twitter header for Ordo Militaris Catholicus as of the day its account was suspended, March 13, 2018; the account has lost approximately 400 followers since it was suspended.

(Jun. 8, 2018) — The founder of a Catholic military organization reported on Friday that after nearly three months, his Twitter account remains locked despite his having filed several appeals and publicized treatment in the media.

The organization, Ordo Militaris Catholicus, is based in Montana, and states it is an “international defense and security initiative of Catholics for Catholics who are suffering persecution for their faith, where their defense and liberation requires military intervention or security actions, and this is allowed by local and/or international law.”

As we reported on March 13, 2018, the Twitter account @MilitarisCath was shuttered after founder Br. Alexis Bugnolo issued a tweet critical of, but not threatening toward, Prime Minister Teresa May regarding her approach to radical Islam in the United Kingdom.

At first, Bugnolo was told that “some of” his account features had been “temporarily limited” but would be restored within “12 hours.”

The given reason was that the account had allegedly violated “Twitter rules” against “hateful conduct.”

Bugnolo was told if he removed the allegedly offensive tweets, his account would be unlocked. However, he refused, maintaining that it violated nothing in Twitter’s stated policies.

The account was never unlocked, and Bugnolo received only automated responses to his complaints.

Bugnolo told The Post & Email that his ability to fund-raise and recruit new members has been severely impaired as a result of Twitter’s action.

In late March, this writer contacted Twitter’s Board of Directors to request comment on the silencing of Bugnolo’s account, including links to our articles written on the subject, but received no response.

Subsequent contact with a media representative yielded a prompt response which claimed that “We do not comment on individual accounts, for privacy and security reasons.”

On April 4, Bugnolo filed a complaint with the FBI on behalf of the company on a claim of civil rights violations and conspiracy on the part of Twitter employees.

On May 30, Bugnolo filed a complaint with the European Union’s Data Protection Commission, which put in place new mandatory data protection rules effective May 25, 2018.  Bugnolo’s complaint was filed on the basis that Twitter’s locking of his account has prevented him from accessing or amending the personal information he provided to the company when he launched the account.

The FBI complaint reads:

The complaint sent to the Data Protection Center reads:

 

Sharon Rondeau has operated The Post & Email since April 2010, focusing on the Obama birth certificate investigation and other government corruption news.  She has reported prolifically on constitutional violations within Tennessee’s prison and judicial systems.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.