WHILE COMEY PARTICIPATES IN CNN “TOWNHALL“
by Sharon Rondeau
(May 9, 2019) — During the first half-hour of Thursday night’s “Hannity,” Fox News Legal Analyst Gregg Jarrett said that former FBI Director James Comey is in “deep, serious, legal trouble” as a result of newly-published documentation showing that the FBI was notified by a State Department official on October 11, 2016 that the Russia “dossier” compiled by Christopher Steele contained false information.
Investigative reporter and executive vice president of video at The Hill John Solomon reported on Tuesday, with a follow-up article on Thursday, that Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Kathleen Kavalec alerted a number of government parties, whose names the FBI redacted, about at least one instance of false information in the dossier which author Christopher Steele shared with her, along with his self-imposed “deadline” of releasing the material publicly “before Election Day.”
Despite the redactions, Solomon said in an on-air interview with Hannity Thursday night alongside Jarrett, Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC11) confirmed that the FBI was one of the recipients of Kavalec’s memo noting that Steele was likely in touch with the media in violation of his FBI confidential-informant agreement and that at least some of the dossier material was inaccurate on its face.
Steele’s dossier was included in four FISA warrant applications on Trump-campaign informal adviser Carter Page, the first of which was submitted to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) on October 21, 2016, ten days after Kavalec alerted the FBI and other government officials about Steele’s dossier.
Comey signed the October 21, 2016 warrant application stating that the information it contained supporting the request had been verified. Subsequently, three other government officials signed renewals of the FISA application, which collected Page’s communications for the period of a year on the claim that he was working as an agent of the Russian government.
Page was never charged with a crime and has publicly decried the actions of the FBI, Justice Department and Special Counsel Robert Mueller, whose report, released publicly April 18, found no evidence of “collusion” between the Trump campaign and Russia, as the FBI had alleged.
Mueller assumed the investigation from the FBI after Comey was fired two years ago today.
In June 2017, Comey admitted in sworn congressional testimony that he leaked at least one of a number of memos he wrote memorializing his interactions with President-Elect Trump, and later, President Trump, in order to initiate a special counsel investigation into Trump for obstruction of justice. He had previously denied to Trump that he was under investigation.
In transcripts of closed-door testimony released by House Judiciary Committee ranking member Doug Collins in recent weeks, former FBI General Counsel James Baker said that then-FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe opened an investigation into Trump for “obstruction of justice” after Comey’s firing (p. 132).
Baker also claimed that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who is leaving the Justice Department effective Saturday and whose sendoff was held Thursday, participated in discussions with McCabe and a close cadre of colleagues about how Trump might be removed from office invoking the 25th Amendment or by Rosenstein secretly recording Trump’s conversations in the Oval Office.
Through a spokesman, Rosenstein denied the claim but shortly thereafter, the DOJ suggested that he made the comment about recording the president as a “joke.”
Comey continues to be highly critical of Trump and denied that the FBI carries out “spying,” which unfolding evidence shows, and Attorney General William Barr, said “occurred” against the Trump campaign. Barr is seeking to learn whether or not the “spying” was properly “predicated,” he testified to a congressional subcommittee last month.
As he has previously, Hannity has repeatedly suggested that Comey invoke his Fifth Amendment right to “remain silent.” For his part, Comey suggested at a “townhall” discussion at approximately the same time Thursday evening that the Justice Department should prosecute Trump after he leaves office.
In a report released last June, Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz found Comey to be “insubordinate” in his handling of the Hillary Clinton private email server investigation. On July 5, 2016, Comey conducted a standup, solo press conference in which he said Clinton’s handling of classified information when she served as Barack Obama’s Secretary of State was “extremely careless” but that the FBI would not recommend criminal prosecution to the Justice Department because “no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case.”
Early in 2015, the government-transparency organization “Judicial Watch” inadvertently discovered, through a Freedom of Information Act request, that Clinton used the unauthorized, non-secure server set up in her home in Chappaqua, New York for both for personal and governmental communications. When she was asked to turn over all of her official communications later that year, she admitted to having eliminated approximately 33,000 emails which she deemed “personal.”
A major IG report is expected to be released in May or June which is expected to focus on Comey, among other individuals.
Jarrett is author of “The Russia Hoax: The Illicit Scheme to Clear Hillary Clinton and Frame Donald Trump.”
Sharon Rondeau has operated The Post & Email since April 2010, focusing on the Obama birth certificate investigation and other government corruption news. She has reported prolifically on constitutional violations within Tennessee’s prison and judicial systems.