AFTER DENYING TRUMP “WIRETAPPING” CLAIM, A “SMOKING GUN?”
by Sharon Rondeau
(Mar. 23, 2017) — Last Wednesday, March 15, House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes (R-CA22) stated that in regard to President Trump’s March 4 tweets claiming that he was “wiretapped” during the 2016 campaign, “We don’t have any evidence that that took place.”
At the same time, however, U.S. News & World Report subtitled its article on the subject, “The Republican lawmaker’s House intelligence committee also is seeking the names of Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton campaign associates who may have been caught on surveillance,” a fact little-reported by the mainstream media.
Nunes’s announcement was followed the next day by Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr and ranking member Mark Warner that “Based on the information available to us, we see no indications that Trump Tower was the subject of surveillance by any element of the United States government either before or after Election Day 2016.”
Since March 4, the mainstream media has made a concerted effort to discredit Trump’s claim.
On Sunday night, Infowars writer Dr. Jerome Corsi and former Maricopa County, AZ Cold Case Posse lead investigator Mike Zullo interviewed with Infowars host Alex Jones, during which they reported that data provided to them by former NSA and CIA contractor Dennis Montgomery approximately three years ago showed that Donald Trump had been under surveillance by the NSA between 2004 and 2010.
Montgomery became acquainted with Zullo while working as a confidential informant to then-Maricopa County Sheriff Joseph Arpaio after he told Arpaio that 150,000 Maricopa County constituents had become the victims of a bank account breach by a government entity.
Arpaio then hired Montgomery to assemble the data to prove his claim, with Zullo was assigned to oversee the project.
Unexpectedly, in April 2015, U.S. District Court Judge G. Murray Snow compelled the production of Montgomery’s work product during a civil-contempt trial in which Arpaio and three others were named defendants.
Montgomery’s work for Arpaio was unrelated to the civil contempt charge.
On Monday, Zullo and Corsi again spoke with Jones to provide greater detail, respectively, on the breached bank accounts and the “rigging” of Arpaio’s trial, which ended in Snow’s civil-contempt finding last May.
Arpaio, who lost his bid for a seventh consecutive term as Maricopa County sheriff in November, is now facing a criminal contempt charge from the U.S. Department of Justice as declared just before the election.
Corsi and Zullo’s revelations gleaned from Montgomery’s data included the claim that not only had Trump been spied upon, but also Trump’s children, an ex-wife, Zullo, Arpaio, and the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office (MCSO) during the civil-contempt trial.
On Tuesday, March 21, Atty. Larry Klayman, who represents Montgomery in at least two pending matters, wrote a letter sent by fax, FedEx and standard mail to Nunes and the remaining members of the House Intelligence Committee detailing his client’s testimony provided to two FBI agents in 2015. After Klayman secured Montgomery two immunity agreements, Montgomery reportedly provided 600 million pages and 47 hard drives to FBI agents Walter Giardina and William Barnett.
In a series of videos released since the new year, Klayman has reported that others surveilled by the government include more than 150 federal judges, including U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John G. Roberts and Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg.
Klayman has said that Montgomery’s information is even more significant than that made public by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden in June 2013.
In his March 21 letter, Klayman told committee members that he believed that FBI Director James Comey had not been honest when he testified to the committee on Monday that he possessed no evidence of Trump’s wiretapping claim. Klayman also cited his March 16 meeting with the House Intelligence Committee’s counsel, Allen R. Souza, in which he related Montgomery’s provision of information to the FBI and challenged Nunes to query Comey in a second hearing on March 28 about that evidence.
On Wednesday, March 22, Nunes made brief public remarks in which he appeared to reverse course, stating, in regard to evidence of surveillance, “What I’ve read bothers me, and I think it should bother the president himself and his team. I think some of it seems to be inappropriate … It definitely goes beyond what happened to Gen. Flynn,” in a reference to Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, who was forced to resign as Trump’s national security adviser after his identity was “unmasked” and his account of conversations with the Russian ambassador during the transition were found to have differed from that which Flynn told Vice President Mike Pence.
The first paragraph of page 4 of Klayman’s letter reads:
On Thursday, in a new video release, Klayman stated that Nunes’s revised statements are “just the tip of the iceberg.”
Also on Thursday, Fox News’s James Rosen, who himself was the target of government surveillance in 2010, reported that “Republican congressional investigators expect a potential ‘smoking gun’ establishing that the Obama administration spied on the Trump transition team…”
The declaration was again made on “Hannity” on Thursday evening as an opening statement.
Update, 10:54 p.m. EDT: The Washington Free Beacon is reporting that according to Nunes, “The full extent of the improper spying—including the improper unmasking of Americans whose identities were to be hidden in reports of foreign communications intercepts—is expected to be disclosed Friday.”
Sharon Rondeau has operated The Post & Email since April 2010, focusing on the Obama birth certificate investigation and other government corruption news. She has reported prolifically on constitutional violations within Tennessee’s prison and judicial systems.