FORMER GOVERNMENT CONTRACTOR ALLEGED MASSIVE GOVERNMENT DATA COLLECTION; HIS ATTORNEY CLAIMS FBI “BURIED” PROBE
by Sharon Rondeau
(Apr. 28, 2018) — On Friday The Daily Caller published 49 pages of text messages exchanged between FBI employees Peter Strzok and Lisa Page between December 2016 and May of last year first said by the FBI to have been “lost” due to a system upgrade.
The DOJ’s inspector general was able to recover the messages as part of his investigation into allegations of political bias within the federal agency and its subsidiary, the FBI, during the 2016 presidential election.
Page and Strzok were both working on the Russia “collusion” investigation under Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III until the IG reportedly discovered politically-charged texts and relegated Strzok to the FBI’s Human Resources department. Page, an FBI staff attorney, is believed to have worked closely with former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe until he went on “terminal leave” in January.
McCabe was terminated from the agency in mid-March after the IG’s initial report said that he “lacked candor” in his responses under questioning for the IG’s investigation.
On May 9, 2017, the Trump administration fired FBI Director James Comey, who is now on a tour promoting his new book titled “A Higher Loyalty.”
Comey and Trump have accused each other of lying. Comey has denied releasing classified information but is reportedly under investigation for the allegation.
In texts released months ago, Page and Strzok were noted to have discussed an “insurance policy” in the event that Donald Trump won the White House.
In addition to The Daily Caller’s website, the new texts are posted at Scribd.
Some text messages are incomplete and unclear as to the topic under discussion. [Editor’s Note: Some texts contain obscenities or partially-obscured obscenities.]
The name of a second recipient of the texts, other than Strzok and Page, is consistently redacted, as are many other names.
Toward the bottom of page 14, a message sent solely to an unidentified individual refers to documentation provided to the FBI by former NSA and CIA contractor Dennis Montgomery through an arrangement made by his attorney, Larry Klayman. The documentation reportedly showed that beginning sometime before 2010, government agencies were collecting, without a warrant, massive amounts of data on Americans without their knowledge and included more than 150 federal judges; Donald Trump and some of his employees and family members; other prominent businessmen and media personalities, and Klayman himself.
The text message says that “The Klayman/Montgomery stuff in the email Jim just sent is utter **. Best to say nothing and brief later if necessary.”
Last June, Montgomery’s alleged compilation of “600 million pages” of data on 47 hard drives was reported by investigative journalist Sara A. Carter, then of Circa News, along with her interview of Montgomery. Her report began:
A former U.S. intelligence contractor tells Circa he walked away with more than 600 million classified documents on 47 hard drives from the National Security Agency and the CIA, a haul potentially larger than Edward Snowden’s now infamous breach.
And now he is suing former FBI Director James Comey and other government figures, alleging the bureau has covered up evidence he provided them showing widespread spying on Americans that violated civil liberties.
In late 2015, Montgomery was reportedly given two immunity agreements from the DOJ after testifying to two FBI agents for hours about the documentation he provided to them.
On the same day Carter’s report was issued, June 6, 2017, Klayman sued the FBI and its former director, James Comey, for the agency’s allegedly having “buried an investigation” into Montgomery’s claims. A press release from Klayman dated June 20, 2017 announced that he asked the court for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction in the case and reads, in part:
Today, Larry Klayman, the founder of both Judicial Watch and now Freedom Watch, and a former federal prosecutor, announced that he and his client whistleblower Dennis Montgomery have moved for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction in their lawsuit against former FBI Director James Comey, the FBI itself, and the NSA and CIA, among other defendants. The underlying lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia by Freedom Watch is styled Montgomery and Klayman v. Comey et. al, Civil Action Number 1:17-cv-01074 (RJL).
The case involves allegations that James Comey, in concert with the other defendants, buried an FBI investigation, caused by whistleblower Dennis Montgomery, a former NSA/CIA contractor, into mass illegal surveillance on not just President Trump, but the chief justice of the Supreme Court, other justices, 156 judges, and even Klayman. Montgomery came forward to Comey years ago with 47 hard drives containing classified information, under grant of immunity, and even was interviewed under oath by FBI agents Walter Giardina and William Barnett. Despite this, the complaint and the motion alleges that Comey buried the investigation and thus obstructed justice, since as recently alleged and revealed by Circa News and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, the FBI was engaged in this illegal and unconstitutional surveillance under Comey, allegedly along with the intelligence agencies.
The civil complaint also names former CIA Directors Mike Pompeo and John Brennan, Barack Obama, current Director of National Intelligence Dan Coates, and other current and former government officials as defendants. Klayman does not appear to have posted an update since the June 20, 2017 press release.
In the email mentioning Montgomery and Klayman, it is unclear if “Jim” refers to former FBI chief of staff James Rybicki, to Comey, or to someone else. Rybicki was retained in his role by the new FBI director, Christopher Wray, but reportedly resigned in January in what was said to be a planned career move.
“Rybicki” is mentioned specifically at the top of page 16 of the texts, but it is unclear to which “email” of Rybicki’s the sender was referencing.
Sharon Rondeau has operated The Post & Email since April 2010, focusing on the Obama birth certificate investigation and other government corruption news. She has reported prolifically on constitutional violations within Tennessee’s prison and judicial systems.