CLAIMS CONGRESS LEFT IN THE DARK OVER POLITICAL ORIGINS
by Sharon Rondeau
(Apr. 17, 2018) — On Tuesday night’s “Hannity” show, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes told host Sean Hannity that former FBI Director James Comey “had ample opportunity” to tell Congress who the author of the Trump/Russia “dossier” was.
Nunes said that had members of Congress been informed of the dossier’s political origins — specifically the Clinton campaign; the DNC; former British MI6 agent Christopher Steele, who revealed a distinct anti-Trump bias; and political research company Fusion GPS — they would have found it “laughable.”
A Democrat-leaning law firm, Perkins Coie, facilitated the payments between the DNC and Steele, the latter of whom was referred to the Justice Department for investigation over the allegation that he lied to the FBI as to whether or not he leaked his Trump/Russia “research” to any media outlets.
Hannity reminded the audience that the dossier was submitted to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) in October 2016 and possibly afterward to justify surveillance warrant requests on then-informal Trump campaign adviser Carter Page.
The court granted the initial warrant as well as three subsequent warrants which extended the surveillance through June of last year. The FBI and DOJ reportedly relied principally or solely on the dossier as its evidence to justify the warrants without informing the FISA court, according to multiple reports.
Nunes and others have pointed out that a “footnote” appearing on one of the dossier’s pages suggested that the origin of the dossier could be “political” with Nunes maintaining that small effort as insufficient for the court’s purposes.
Comey admitted, in a much-feted exclusive interview on Sunday with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos in advance of Tuesday’s publication of his book, that while still FBI director, he did not inform Trump that the dossier was unverified, responding to Stephanopoulos’s question that he “did not know” whether or not Trump deserved to be provided that information.
Comey and Trump have exchanged barbs, insults, and claims of criminality on the part of the other before and since Comey’s ABC interview.
Hannity segued into the interview by stating that the Justice Department missed a congressional deadline on Monday to turn over seven memos allegedly written by Comey after telephone or in-person meetings he allegedly had with Donald Trump both before and after he was inaugurated on January 20, 2017.
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is reportedly asking for “more time” to divulge the memos to the three congressional committees who requested to see them in their entirety. Last June, Comey leaked at least one of the memos to a “friend,” Daniel Richman, who reportedly read it to The New York Times.
Comey admitted that he leaked that memo with the intent of spurring the hiring of a special counsel to oversee the FBI investigation into Russia’s influence on the 2016 election and the possibility that Trump campaign aides “colluded” with the Kremlin to win the White House.
Thus far, no evidence has been made public that any such coordination took place.
Trump has denied that “collusion” with the Russians occurred on the part of anyone on his campaign staff. He has, however, made the case that the Clinton campaign maintained ties to Russian operatives which have allegedly not been fully investigated.
Rosenstein is claiming that the Justice Department needs more time to review the memos because “one or more of them may contain information about an active investigation or classified content or confidential presidential communications.,” according to Bloomberg News. However, Comey appears to believe he did nothing wrong in making the memo, and possibly three others, available to Richman.
The congressional committees believe the memos were utilized by Comey to write his book, “A Higher Loyalty,” released on Tuesday.
Last week, rumors began to circulate that Trump intends to fire Rosenstein following Rosenstein’s authorization of a raid on the offices, home, and hotel room of Trump’s personal attorney, Michael Cohen, allegedly seeking documentation of his personal and business dealings.
On Monday an emergency motion by Cohen’s attorneys supported by Trump attorneys to place a temporary restraining order on the documentation and devices seized by the FBI was refused by U.S. District Court Judge Kimba Wood. However, The Hill reported that “in a victory for Cohen, Wood did order the government to create a database of what was taken from Cohen and share it with his legal team.”
Some believe that Wood is compromised as a result of her having officiated at George Soros’s third marriage in 2013.
Sharon Rondeau has operated The Post & Email since April 2010, focusing on the Obama birth certificate investigation and other government corruption news. She has reported prolifically on constitutional violations within Tennessee’s prison and judicial systems.