FROM “IN DEFENSE OF RURAL AMERICA”
by Ron Ewart, ©2016, President, NARLO
Many of government’s actions are hard to see. Federal, state and local governments pass law after law and somehow we think we are immune from the consequences of those laws. Government is like a mosquito. You don’t feel the actual penetration of your skin, only the itch after the mosquito has withdrawn its blood-sucking straw and buzzed away. Come to think of it, government is very much like a mosquito with its blood-sucking taxes and zillions of rules, regulations, restrictions and ordinances that control every aspect of our lives. (The rules are the “itch” after the government has employed its weapon of choice by raiding your wallet ….. taxes.)
So what has government really done for you? Where do we start? Why not start with illegal immigration?
Your federal government (that’s the 545 people who control almost everything in America – a president, 435 representatives, 100 Senators and 9 Supreme Court Justices) has seen fit to encourage (indeed, provide a magnet) illegal immigration by not enforcing existing law and sealing our borders, as they are mandated to do. We are absolutely convinced they have done so on purpose. And for their skullduggery we get to pay for it all. The price tag for schools, language tutors, medical treatment, anchor babies, social services and lost jobs to legal Americans by illegal aliens, has been estimated at nearly $300 to $500 Billion per year. We had no say in this policy, as our representatives and senators know what is best for us. Well, don’t they? Besides the cost comes the premeditated, unconscionable erosion of our American sovereignty. And speaking of American sovereignty, let’s not forget NAFTA, CAFTA, the Transpacific Partnership (TPP) and the Security and Prosperity Partnership (North American Union).
Now let’s look at what the collusion of the radical, international environmentalists and the U. S. government together have done for us.
1) The purposeful and unconstitutional theft of our property rights with environmental law after environmental law.
2) Severely restricts development of new crude oil resources on American soil for 30 years.
3) Stopped all construction of new power generation and refineries on American soil for 30 years.
4) Trying to take control of every mud puddle in America. (Clean Water Restoration Act) – EPA rules).
5) Instituting an ill-conceived and dastardly policy to turn “food” into fuel.
6) Brainwashing the entire American population (including our children in public schools and colleges) into believing that we are the cause of the destruction of our planet and must give up our cars and our lifestyle and pay for CO2 emissions (wealth redistribution).
7) Along with all this brainwashing comes the propaganda and lies of man-caused global warming.
8) The mandated institution of a National Animal Index System (NAIS) to register every animal and every premise in America that might be harboring livestock or other animals. It’s been shelved for now but it will be back.
9) But worst of all comes the treasonous degradation of the foundation of our laws, our constitution, by integrating UN and European social and environmental policies into law by presidential executive order and without the debate and ratification of such additions to our laws by the U. S. Congress, as required by the constitution. And what is the result of the government’s collusion with the radical, international environmentalists? Rapidly accelerating costs of everything and the direct and inexcusable loss of our freedom and liberty.
Then we have the government’s monetary policy under the Federal Reserve. But then the Federal Reserve isn’t a government entity, is it? It is run by a bunch of elite bankers who tweak the supply of money (money that essentially has no intrinsic value) by moving the interest rate they charge other banks, up or down, in response to perceived events that they in their infinite wisdom have determined such changes are required. Unfortunately, they are usually wrong or go too far and set off a chain of events that they then try to over-correct and end up acting like a teenager just learning to drive. The Feds have the power to send us into a recession or rapid inflation or stagflation, and they do. Who pays the price for their tomfoolery and their inability to properly make adjustments to a dynamic system? We do!
And of course, let’s not forget the government’s social policies. From the New Deal in the 1930’s to President Johnson’s Great Society, the blood-sucking government has eaten up trillions of our tax dollars to solve a problem (or is it buy votes with our money) that shows no signs of getting any better. In so doing, they have robbed the pride, self-reliance, independence and a can-do spirit out of millions of Americans who have sold their souls and their freedom for a piece of the American hard-working producer’s sweat equity. Instead of growing in independence, they have grown totally dependent. These folks that drink at the “well” of the government’s largess become unproductive and an increasing load on the rest of us.
Finally, the good ‘ole federal government passes law after law that then filters down to state and local governments. This then creates law-driven symptoms that have us all running around like chickens with their heads cut off, trying to stop the state and local governments from making our lives even more miserable than the Feds have already done. In our actions to thwart these government-manufactured “symptoms,” we take our collective “eyes” off of the ball that is the direct cause of all these local symptoms; the 545 people that control everything in America. Socialists and radical environmentalists camp at government’s door, vying for any favor they can get from government, in return for money, votes, or perks offered by the lobbyists. Our system of government has become so corrupt that only a revolution can ever bring sanity to what is now hopelessly insane and out of control.
There is so much more that government has done for (or is it TO) us, but there isn’t enough space here to describe it all. So what HAS government done for you? They have taken our pride, our hard-earned money and our liberty for policies that far exceed the limits of commons sense, much less the individual, inalienable rights, that are the irrevocable gift of our Creator.
But then, what with jobs, commutes, kids, homes, vacations, entertainment and sports, it’s so hard to pay much attention to what our government is doing.
Wasn’t it President Ronald Reagan who said, “The most terrifying words in the English language are: “I’m from the government and I’m here to help.” He also said: “Government is not the solution. Government is the problem.”
If only government would just get out of the way and let the spirit of a free American people prosper and save themselves and the rest of the world, as some have said we were pre-ordained to do. The sad truth is that government will not get out of the way unless the people force them.
We describe some of these conditions in our new video:
Click on the link to view the video.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
NOTE: The foregoing article represents the opinion of the author and is not necessarily shared by the owners, employees, representatives, or agents of the publisher.
Ron Ewart, a nationally known author and speaker on freedom and property rights issues and author of this weekly column, “In Defense of Rural America,” is the president of the National Association of Rural Landowners (NARLO) (http://www.narlo.org/), a non-profit corporation headquartered in Washington State, an advocate and consultant for urban and rural landowners. He can be reached for comment at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org