11-YEAR ANCHOR REPORTEDLY FIRED ON JUNE 23
by Sharon Rondeau
(Jul. 6, 2016) — A complaint filed in the Superior Court of New Jersey on Wednesday alleges that Fox News Channel Chairman and CEO Roger Ailes sexually harassed her over a period of years, reduced her salary and career opportunities, and ultimately fired her on June 23 for refusing his advances.
As you may have heard, I am no longer with Fox News. I value your support and friendship, especially now, so please stay in touch with me. You can reach me via this site, and on Facebook, via Twitter, on Instagram and on Snapchat at GCarlsonTV.
Thank you for your support. #StandWithGretchen
Carlson’s Twitter feed reflects that the statement was likely released on Wednesday, the same day her lawsuit was filed.
This week, “The Five” co-host Kimberly Guilfoyle has been anchoring Carlson’s former show, “The Real Story,” which airs from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m. ET weekdays. Carlson had hosted the news program for the last three years after co-anchoring the “Fox & Friends” morning show for seven and one-half years, according to the complaint.
Carlson is the author of the memoir “Getting Real,” which she publicized on a book tour last year. She is a former Miss America, is a trained concert violinist, and was her high school’s valedictorian. She began her career at Fox News in 2005 following five years at CBS.
The complaint alleges that despite Carlson’s outstanding work as a journalist, Ailes “denied Carlson fair compensation, desirable assignments and other career-enhancing opportunities in retaliation for her complaints of harassment and discrimination and because she rejected his (Ailes’s) sexual advances.”
Carlson claims that Ailes “pursued a highly personal agenda” in his treatment of her and his ultimate dismissal of her on June 23 and that her move from Fox & Friends to “The Real Story” was not one of her choosing.
On June 14, Carlson stated on her show that she was “with the majority” who she reported responded to a Quinnipiac University poll by advocating an “assault weapons ban” following the June 12 Orlando terrorist attack which killed 49 and wounded 53. During that broadcast, Carlson said that Omar Mateen, the killer, used “an AR-15,” although there are varying reports of the firearms Omar Mateen carried and/or used during the nightclub assault.
Carlson will be hosting a disabled women’s empowerment symposium on July 30 in Peoria, IL titled “The Miss You Can Do It Pageant.” She is also a Trustee for the March of Dimes, which seeks to eliminate birth defects.
Ailes, 76, has been reported to be “very needy and insecure” as allegedly evidenced by his decision to suddenly replace Michael Clemente as vice president of News in an April “shake-up” possibly intended to secure his own future at the company. He has led Fox News and Fox Television Stations Group since August 2005 and the Fox News Channel since its inception in 1996.
His contract with FNC is said to expire in 2018. The Fox conglomerate is owned by 21st Century Fox.
Ailes is a former Republican strategist who reportedly promoted the popularity of “The Kelly File” host Megyn Kelly, who clashed with now-presumptive Republican presidential nominee beginning last August at the first Republican debate after asking Trump a question about his attitudes toward and statements about women.
Early last month, former “Outnumbered” co-host Andrea Tantaros was noted to have disappeared from the Fox News Channel with management’s having issued a vague statement about a “contract” issue in explanation.
Sharon Rondeau has operated The Post & Email since April 2010, focusing on the Obama birth certificate investigation and other government corruption news. She has reported prolifically on constitutional violations within Tennessee’s prison and judicial systems.