IS THE GOVERNMENT AFRAID OF MORE NATIONAL EXPOSURE ABOUT OBAMA’S ALLEGED INELIGIBILITY?
by Sharon Rondeau
(Mar. 7, 2011) — Ms. Theresa Cao, an update of whose case was reported on March 5, 2011, has told The Post & Email that shortly before a scheduled meeting with her defense attorney this morning, the attorney received a call from the government prosecutor handling the case offering a deal which would result in a plea of “not guilty.”
The deal, intended for first-time offenders and thereby dubbed “FTO,” would stipulate 40 hours of community service and 6-9 months’ probation but carry a plea of “not guilty.” All charges would be dismissed. If Cao accepts the arrangement, she would not be able to present the evidence she has been compiling for her defense.
Cao reported that at about 9:00 a.m. today, her public defender, Ms. April Downs, received the call from the prosecutor’s office offering the FTO, and Ms. Cao’s meeting was scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Of this development, Cao commented, “The timing is uncanny.”
The Post & Email spoke with April Downs at approximately 11:30 today before we were aware of the government’s offer. When we asked her if she and her client had a particular strategy in mind, she answered that several options had been discussed which included First Amendment rights and either a challenge or “some other disposition.” She said that any “agreement” did not necessarily equate to a plea deal and could involve community service.
We asked Ms. Downs if she had been aware of the questions surrounding Obama’s eligibility for office before taking on Ms. Cao’s case, and she replied, “Yes.” However, she stated that that constitutes a political viewpoint which is not part of the case. We asked if others who have previously verbalized some type of protest from the House or Senate gallery have been prosecuted, and she said, “Yes. Some of them have been convicted. Cindy Sheehan was arrested and convicted.” Ms. Downs stated that any defense would not focus on the specific words that were uttered by Cao, but rather, on Ms. Cao’s First Amendment right to say it.
Cao’s trial is scheduled for Tuesday, March 15, at 9:30 a.m. in Superior Court in Washington, DC. Ms. Cao has asked that people attend to act as witnesses. In speaking with The Post & Email today, she likened her situation to that of Lt. Col. Terrence Lakin, who was tried and convicted in December 2010, after which he was sentenced to six months at Ft. Leavenworth federal penitentiary for questioning whether or not Barack Obama is constitutionally eligible to serve as President of the United States.
Ms. Cao said the defense exhibits she has been preparing include background information contained in the Magna Carta, Emerich de Vattel’s “The Law of Nations,” the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution, and evidence from the trial of Lt. Col. Lakin. She stated that “There has been a disconnect between LTC’s case and mine. It’s all about ‘We the People’ and the U.S Constitution versus the government.”
A website, foundation and radio program have been established to publicize Lakin’s case and raise money for his family.
Ms. Cao’s exclamation of “Except Obama! Except Obama! Help us, Jesus!” made national headlines on January 6 following the reading of the U.S. Constitution by the newly-seated 112th Congress’s House of Representatives. Ms. Cao has been labeled many pejoratives, including that of an “agitator.” However, when a member of “Code Pink” was arrested for heckling during the Iraqi Prime Minister’s address to Congress in July 2006, pejorative terms were not used to describe her. In fact, Cindy Sheehan’s right to protest was defended by a writer for Infowars. The day following her arrest for displaying a poster with an anti-Iraq war sentiment during President George W. Bush’s State of the Union address, her charge of “unlawful conduct” was dropped. At the time, Sheehan was not a first-time offender.