OBAMA’S RESPONSE TO BENGHAZI “BORDERS ON A CRIMINAL ACT”
by Sharon Rondeau
(Feb. 19, 2013) — In an interview published on February 15, 2013 with Roger Aronoff of Accuracy in Media (AIM), Admiral James (Ace) Lyons (Ret.) stated that the late U.S. Ambassador to Libya, J. Christopher Stevens, “was the great facilitator in funneling the arms to the rebels, to other militias—many of which were al-Qaeda-affiliated, who had been fighting our troops in Iraq.”
Lyons is a four-star admiral and former commander of the Pacific Fleet during the 1980s. He is now President and CEO of Lion Associates, LLC, which provides consulting services on international security. Lyons spoke last June at a forum on national security issues on behalf of the Center for Security Policy during which he stated that the U.S. Navy has been reduced from 600 ships to 285 under Obama. “That’s basically what I had under my command in the Pacific Fleet,” he said.
Adm. Lyons originally provided the interview to AIM on BlogTalkRadio on January 24, 2013. He began the session by discussing his involvement with Project HOPE and its role in assisting victims of the 2004 tsunami in Thailand. Lyons later recommended that a special prosecutor be appointed by the U.S. House of Representatives to investigate the Benghazi killings. The transcript of the interview begins at that point on the New Zeal blog.
“Rebels” in Syria have been fighting the regime of Bashir Assad, who Obama has said “must go.” However, it has been reported that Al Qaeda and related terrorists groups have combined with those forces opposing Bashir. Obama has therefore been accused of supporting enemies of the United States.
Lyons was asked about a statement attributed to him contending that there might have been an attempt to kidnap Amb. Stevens in exchange for the United States’ release of Omar Abdel-Rahman, called “the Blind Sheikh,” to which he responded that he had speculated that the Benghazi incident was “a bungled kidnapping attack” because “nothing else made sense” to him.
During the interview, Lyons also mentioned a video released the day before the Benghazi attack by “the leader of Al Qaeda” seeking to avenge the murder of one of its operatives in Libya by the CIA. Such a video has not been publicized in the American media.
Last October, a security analyst to Maj. Gen. Paul E. Vallely (Ret.) suggested that Stevens was a conduit in transferring arms to Syria through Turkey. It has been widely reported that Stevens had met with the Turkish Consul General just before the attack began at approximately 9:40 p.m. Libyan time on September 11.
The Obama regime first claimed that the attack on the Benghazi outpost was the result of a spontaneous protest over an obscure video which parodied the Prophet Muhammad and offended Muslims around the world. United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice had insisted on September 16, 2012 on five Sunday talk shows that the protest stemmed from the video, although emails released to the media exchanged among government officials do not mention a protest. Both the CIA and State Department officials clarified weeks later that the attack had been planned by Islamic terrorists.
An editorialist at a UK newspaper called the protest claim “a cover story.”
During testimony to two congressional committees on January 23, Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton stated that there were “no denials of support” for help on the night of September 11. No one has taken responsibility for the “stand-down” order reportedly given to intelligence and/or military personnel after the violence broke out. Clinton also ruminated that it did not make “difference” who the murderers of the four Americans were.
Up until last Friday, Sens. John McCain and Lindsey Graham did not give their approval of Obama’s choice for Defense Secretary, former Sen. Charles Hagel, nor John Brennan, Obama’s pick for CIA chief, citing unanswered questions about what Obama was doing the night of the Benghazi attack. A purported letter sent by the White House to Sen. Carl Levin, chairman of the Armed Services Committee, reportedly claims that Obama “didn’t make any phone calls” after learning that the Benghazi building was under attack.
McCain stated on “Meet the Press” on Sunday that the Obama regime has perpetrated a “cover up” of the Benghazi incident.
The New York Times is reporting that McCain and Graham will now “stand aside” to allow a vote on Hagel’s nomination following the congressional break this week even though McCain does not believe that Hagel “is qualified.”
The U.S. military did not intervene in Benghazi on the night of September 11, with outgoing Defense Secretary Leon Panetta having claimed that he did not have “enough information” to send a deployment of troops. Retired military officers have stated that a mission to combat the terrorists could have been mounted quickly and efficiently.
The Post & Email had contacted Lyons for an interview, but he declined, stating that he had spoken with Lou Dobbs of Fox News and submitted editorials to The Washington Times which had been published. After sending him a request to reconsider, our email was returned as undeliverable, as it had been sent to a mailbox which did not accept incoming email.
Last November, Lyons called on Obama to “come clean” about the deaths in Benghazi as reported by Fox News. Lyons claimed that Libyan security forces had “lost all control” of terrorists in the country prior to the attack on the U.S. outpost. He told Fox News’s Megyn Kelly that “ten well-armed militias” had been identified in eastern Libya and that an al Qaeda affiliate had been “setting up roadblocks and checkpoints” that evening. Lyons claimed that a military fleet could have arrived in Benghazi “in a matter of hours” of the launch of the attack.
Lyons told Kelly that he believed that the behavior of the Obama regime in the wake of the Benghazi attack and Obama’s statement that it was “too early to know” what had caused it was “a total cover-up” which “borders on a criminal act here.”
“You just don’t let Americans die,” Lyons said.