HAS FOX NEWS BEEN THREATENED?
by Sharon Rondeau
Without providing a link to the referenced article, the announcement reads:
On May 16, a story was posted on the Fox News website on the investigation into the 2016 murder of DNC Staffer Seth Rich. The article was not initially subjected to the high degree of editorial scrutiny we require for all our reporting. Upon appropriate review, the article was found not to meet those standards and has since been removed.
We will continue to investigate this story and will provide updates as warranted.
The Post & Email referenced the article on several occasions in its reportage last week and this week about which a Fox affiliate , Fox5, reported new developments on May 15.
The private investigator who spoke to Fox5 at that time, Rod Wheeler, was immediately lampooned by the media for his inconsistency in first stating that he had personally seen evidence that Rich had been in touch with WikiLeaks, then changed his story to say that he had not observed it firsthand, but rather, obtained the information from a federal investigator who he believed had high credibility.
That investigator was stated in the now-removed Fox News story to have confirmed to the reporter that he identified the exact number of emails and attachments allegedly sent to a WikiLeaks-affiliated journalist from Rich’s computer. The numbers of emails and attachments, respectively, matched those provided by WikiLeaks when it began releasing the emails obtained from the DNC server last July.
On May 18, Wheeler was sent a “cease-and-desist” letter from a Rich family attorney claiming that Wheeler breached his contract by speaking to the media without obtaining the family’s permission. According to WND, Wheeler is no longer investigating the case.
Wheeler was reportedly contracted by the family but paid by a third party. He told Hannity on May 16 that he had been in touch directly with the family in the course of his investigation to that point.
A professional Democrat crisis consultant who is speaking for the family, Brad Bauman, became angry during an interview last week with WND, stating that anyone suggesting that Rich was a WikiLeaks source “deserve [sic] a place in hell.”
The response from left-leaning media has been powerfully obscene, virulent and accusatory, with Hannity stating that he stood by his reporting on the matter.
On Tuesday he tweeted and stated on his 10:00 p.m. show that he had spoken with the Rich family.
Also on Tuesday, an editorial published in The Washington Post by Rich’s parents, Joel and Mary Rich, maintains that the theory that Rich was in touch with WikiLeaks is a “conspiracy” and implored those exploring that avenue to cease their efforts.
The open letter is titled, “We’re Seth Rich’s parents. Stop politicizing our son’s murder” and refuted any possibility that their son had contacted WikiLeaks. “Still, conservative news outlets and commentators continue, day after painful day, to peddle discredited conspiracy theories that Seth was killed after having provided WikiLeaks with emails from the DNC. Those theories, which some reporters have since retracted, are baseless, and they are unspeakably cruel,” the Riches wrote.
The Washington Post, which makes no effort to hide its bias, has made its own efforts to dispel the notion that Rich could have been a WikiLeaks source.
On Hannity’s Twitter feed following his announcement that he would not be reporting further on the Rich story temporarily, viewers expressed both support and disappointment.
Despite decisions apparently made by Fox, Hannity said he stands by the reporting he has done on the subject to date.
On Tuesday, internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom posted a statement indicating that he “knows” that Rich was in touch with WikiLeaks and is willing to travel to the U.S. to give testimony if proper arrangements can be made through his attorneys.
The word “debunked” has resurfaced in the mainstream media regarding the possibility that Rich was a source for WikiLeaks, although the organization’s founder, Julian Assange, has strongly suggested that was the case.
Fox News reported Assange’s statements in an article posted on August 10, 2016 which has not (yet) been removed.
This writer maintains that the search for the truth to solve a heinous and senseless murder is not a political issue.
Update, 11:08 p.m. EDT: Just after this article went to press, The Post & Email noted that Hannity issued the following tweet, perhaps in his own defense:
and another tweet appeared at approximately the same time: